Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nanjundeshwara temple

Nanjangud -close to Mysore - is famous for its Nanjundeshwara (Shiva) temple. A 1000+ year old temple from the days of Ganga's. And seems to have had major royal patronage all through. It reflects in the grandeur of the temple, exquisite sculpture, two big wooden chariots, and idols of numerous kings & queens.



Anil, & me, visited the temple, on our way back from BR hills. Kabini flows close to the temple, and a dip there is the way to start. Cloudy day, so low light conditions, a test of your camera skills. What majorly stuck me, was the paint of the temple. A golden yellow paint of the Gopura's etc stands out.

My favourite shot.





Side view of the gopura.


Back of the gopura.

This huge wodden rath (chariot) had some amazing carvings. The Rathotsava here, is quite famous.

Liked this a lot.....didn't notice the background clutter....shud have kept that out....wud have been a nice pic.




Some erotica!

Yes, in the temple, the sculptures of Gods were simply amazing. There were lotz of Shiva Linga's, and idols of kings & queens. Anil bought some ladoos as prasad. And, as we opened the pack, crows quickly descended, and I got to feed them, they almost picked it from my hands.

My first visit, nice 70 minutes spent at the temple. Lots yet to be seen, and a dip in Kabini awaits. Need to visit it leisurely.

2 comments:

Casey said...

God was definitely happy to see you at the temple!!! Next time you go there, lemme know. I will join you guys. Great pictures. But you would have got better ones with Sony DSCH1 ;)

Akash said...

Better than DSCH1 ?? I don't agree...you can't beat C760 macro snaps.....and others too....with 12x & 5MP, you have a slight advantage over my 10x & 3MP....but for pics on blogspot/standard printing...this is good enuf.

I think, we shud really test this out, join me next time.